Thursday, July 26, 2012

It Comes Full Circle

Hi blogging world. It's been a while hasn't it. The past few months have certainly been hectic. Well, when I think about it the past year and a half has been crazy. The last time I was here it was Memorial Day. It was one of the many days a year that we openly talk and discuss this crazy life with our boys. We try our best to help them understand what it means, teach them about the sacrifices made to maintain it, and about the uniqueness of the hundreds of thousands of men and women who live it.

Since May our little family has been busy. Caleb has started therapy and treatment for his Autism Spectrum Disorder, Andrew celebrated his 3rd birthday, Caleb celebrated his 5th birthday, and Jon and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary. It is amazing to think how far we have traveled from where we started that evening in March those years ago. We have lived, loved, fought, cried, and survived together. By all accounts we should have fallen apart but here we are stronger than ever.

All medical proxies have been returned to their rightful place and I am so very proud to say that while he may never be 100% , Jon is most definitely under his own function again. Through different and innovative types of therapy, he has not only grown but surpassed original expectations his doctors had when he started treatment. He has been able to phase out all medication save for the occasional motrin. I tell you all of this because if brings me to my next point and the purpose of this blog entry.

Some four months ago Jon was returned to full combat ready status! I will never forget the look on his face or the smile he worse the day they handed him that paper. It has been a hard road but he did it! Since returning to combat ready status he has been moved and will soon be deploying.

It is such a bittersweet and proud moment for me because while I am so unbelievably proud of him, I will be sad to see him go. In the six plus years of our marriage we have only been apart a handful of weeks and no more than twelve at a time. I am incredibly spoiled in that respect.

My heart bursts with pride watching him prepare and train to go. He is so excited. The new knowledge he is acquiring and combining with what he already has is making for an interesting atmosphere in our house. Right now the boys and I are enjoying the benefits of Pashto. I am told that the next language will be Kartuli.

I will be sad about all of those nights I am going to sleep alone and those holidays that he will miss later. But for now I will hold his hand and share his excitement with pride and love because this is what he has been working so hard for. This is what he loves.

Things really have come full circle. Here are a few pictures of our peanuts and my mother from her recent visit. Oh how they have grown :)





Until next time,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment